Monday, March 22, 2010

Summer Rolls

Sunday afternoon we attended our friend R's birthday party.  I decided to make summer rolls.  Whenever Tim and I have made these for a party in the past, they are always requested again and again.  They are easy to make, but a bit time consuming!  Tim does all the slicing and dicing of the ingredients, which in Sunday's rolls included: Thai basil, radishes, cabbage, carrots, scallions, and grilled seasoned chicken thigh.

Oh, and of course the rice noodles...

I, with my nimble little fingers, then roll all the yumminess up in a rice paper wrapper.  We usually use the big ones, but for this fancy party we used the cute little size.  Cute and little, but much more tedious to make.


Here are a couple of them finished, note how the pretty colors shine through.


I wish I had taken a picture of them on the platter with the dipping sauces, they looked so nice, but at that point the food was out, and I was all business.  Trying one of everything.  Or two.

I also make R a cute pair of earrings for her birthday, this was about the extent of my creativity this weekend since I spent most of Saturday trying to take decent pictures of earrings and bracelets for my etsy store.  I'm afraid photography isn't my forte.   

Hopefully some pics will make it up on the Etsy site today!

3 comments:

  1. I want summer rolls now! Love them!!! Cute earrings too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look just like the rolls a coworker of mine at Filene's Basement used to make. She was Vietnamese and made the most awesome rolls. I'd never thought to make them myself, but yours look super delicious. Is there a dipping sauce??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the best dipping sauce for these is peanut sauce, we also use that hot/sweet/sour pepper sauce (both from Chinatown). We also used to really like using the Goyzo sauce Dave would score when he still worked at Drew's. Sometimes Tim just throws together a soy/teriaki sauce with scallions, ginger, sesame.

    ReplyDelete