Thursday, April 22, 2010

Missing model at the MFA

Another Wed. night live model drawing at the MFA.  Arriving early once again, this time I perused the Chinese and Japanese areas.  It's been awhile since I wandered in these areas of the museum, and I spent some time chillaxing (...I still haven't taken that meditation class yetin the Bhudda room until a bunch of very noisy children came in.  Damn vacation week. 



Our model was running late, so naturally I started sketching some horse statues while I was waiting.  Some of my fellow artists posed for 1 minute sketches, but it became apparent our model was pulling a no-show.  The gallery we were in was dark and very crowded, with many children...
...Damn vacation week.  
The guy sitting next to me had a rather pungent emanation, and he drew VERY LOUDLY.  Even the woman in front of me was shooting him looks, it's not just me!  He also was sitting way too close, bumping my arm.



We weren't feeling the love, so we decided to take our creativity in another direction.  Instead of trivia night and beemos at the Squealing Pig,   we headed downtown to the ladder district.  A new restaurant named Stoddard's recently opened that I've been wanting to check out, and was glad when C's friend suggested it.   It used to be a cutlery store dating back to the 1860's.   The hardwood floors and walls are from the 1800s, the mezzanines (c. 1912) have been salvaged from the old Filene's Basement and the bartenders (dressed in era-correct attire) manned an old-timey handmade mahogany bar.  With the old gas lamposts, tin ceiling, and upstairs platform, it has a wonderful ambiance.  I didn't really get the corset art when you walk in, perhaps it was hailing from the burlesque days in Scollay Sq. which was down the street?



I wanted a cider, but alas, there was none.  (but it is coming soon according to our super-friendly waiter).  He did suggest a delicious beer called Ephemere, from the Unibroue brewery in Canada.  It was sort of like a cross-breed beer and cider.  Delicious!!!  We enjoyed it very much with the fondue plate.
I'm looking forward to our next venture...

1 comment:

  1. How did you get all that info about Stoddards? I looked online and could only find Yelp reviews.... hmmm.

    ReplyDelete